Welcome to AfterNET
AfterNET is an Internet Relay Chat network that was founded in September 1996 and is dedicated to providing a free quality chat environment, which gives people all over the world a means to communicate with each other. We take special care to ensure that our network provides a place where the freedom of speech of all our users is respected.
News and updates
- We now have official SSL certificates signed by StartCom Inc and trusted by most computers by default! Connecting securely to AfterNET just got way easier.
- We now support SSL encrypted connections on ports 6697 and 9998.
- AfterNET now offers qwebirc, a web-based IRC client similar to Mibbit! qwebirc is open source, free of advertisements, and runs directly on our own servers. Our qwebirc implementation also supports login-on-connect (check the “Auth to services” box at the login screen) and encryption. Feel free to test it out and give us your feedback. Stop by #help to report any issues.
- The qwebirc client also makes it easy for you to create a custom chat link for your users or even embed the chat window directly into your website. Click the logo in the top left corner of the qwebirc interface and choose “Add webchat to your site” to get started.
Come join us
To chat on AfterNET, you can either download and install an IRC client or chat directly from your browser window. Many IRC clients are available for different operating systems. Once installed, connect to irc.afternet.org. Here are some IRC clients we like:
If you'd rather chat from within your web browser, try one of the following:
- AfterNET qwebirc: Our own web-based IRC client. Recommended!
- AfterNET KiwiIRC: Another web-based IRC client we're testing. Recommended!
- Mibbit.com WebChat: Supports multiple networks. Has advertisements and frogs.
If you want to learn more about the various connection options, read this, or just /join #Help on IRC.
About our network
We pride ourselves on maintaining high-speed IRC servers around the globe, with a strong emphasis on network and service stability. The network has an average of 800 people connected to it at once, and we are fortunate to have a very loyal group of users. Our main channel is #AfterNET and our help channel is #Help.
We provide username and channel registrations via our AuthServ and X3 service bots. Many organizations that host websites dedicated to music, sports, software development, gaming, or other special interests choose AfterNET as their chat network because of our “free” nature and our supportive and friendly staff. We hope you enjoy your time on our network, and please let us know if there is anything we can do for you!
Love AfterNET and want to help ensure its continued survival? We are now accepting bitcoins.
or via GoFundMe